Sunday, January 10, 2016

2016 seeks New Normal!

A memory popped up on Facebook to remind me that it was five (5) years ago {1/11} that the spinal bone cyst of T12 L1 transverse process was identified by Neurologist in Panama City, FL

Reminiscent of the battles already endured ... this was yet another doctor in the line that would dismiss my previous history and Dercum's diagnosis (nor even consider the condition as an underlying source of pain) which had debilated me for four (4) months - that particular stretch.  I went through a battery of tests (mri, ct, ultrasound, endo- & colon- oscopies with biopsies) from a variety of doctors from varying disciplines including gynecology & digestive diseases. Even had a tooth pulled @ the dentist.

Although numerous new conditions (Barrett's Esophagus, silent gerd, substantial free fluid, polycystic ovary, spinal cyst, progressed cervical stenosis, IBS, chronic pain/fatigue) were added to the list ...  none explained to satisfaction what I was enduring.  Pain management referral was once again the prevailing recommendation of treatment.  Unfortunately, the doctors on the east coast that had previously diagnosed, treated, removed Lipoma, & kept me moving through spinal injections & physical therapy (before divorce & relocation) were no longer available and the insurance I now carried wasn't sufficient. Utterly defeated I resumed the daunting task of self advocacy & laymans treatment.

I did seemingly well over the next few years ... Even though employed in the physically demanding restaurant industry, and relocated once again to South Carolina... I tried different home treatments & excercise to manage bouts of pain. I became able to make accommodations for myself, always being aware of my spoons (
http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ )

Welcomed to SC by a bad bought of the flu followed by a few shingles-like outbreaks, Kevin had an extended convalescence healing from a traumatic injury requiring a 2nd set of implant of pins, 1st was wrist  2nd his ankle. I lost my job and had legal issue which strained us financially but I was lucky enough to be rehired immediately. After 8 months we moved into our current home and prayed for a fresh start & when Kevin received his compensation settlement, we made a renewed commitment to excercise and joined the gym. It was a mistake sending me into flair of exhaustion, pain, & swelling.

Enter 2014, I relented and sought medical attention.  I was treated for Costochrondritis & subsequently Teitze, put on cholesterol & BP meds and referred to cardiologist for murmur evaluation. Ultimately, my conditions were being over medicated & all were once again discontinued. Including the gym that had to be battled with doctor's orders to be released from their contract.

Just as I was regaining my bearings I struggled with horrific nerve pains throughout my right arm, from neck to fingertips with some days being completely without function... Making it difficult to lift trays and perform well at work I began self treating with capsacin (which caused allergic reaction but it was better than the pain!)

Even when I seemed to be attacked by carbuncles, I kept heart because by this time I had finally saved enough in order to obtain dual SC [& FL] real estate licensure. That's when bad news from Florida arrived.. my mother going to court proceedings and my Grandmother having taken seriously ill... I packed my bags and took my meager savings to finance the trip. While I was there I would attempt to tie up some loose ends with my ex-husband & the IRS as well as interreview real estate brokers there, where I would hang my RE license with an immediate listing & anticipation of dual licensure marketability.   I ultimately took 2wks away from my employment to be of help, when I got back to work I would re-accert myself back to saving for SC RE Lic. I still had a plan...

But the plan went awry with family drama and the interactions with IRS & exhusband were akin to a venture in PTSD land. Out of a sense of self preservation I cut my visit short... When I walked out of the Federal Building in Jacksonville I simply took 95 N and headed back to SC to lick my wounds.

I had a few days left on the calendar before I was on the schedule again and tried to take full advantage. Swollen and fatigued I spent most of those hours sleeping and soaking. My granddaughter would be coming to visit for the summer soon... I would use that for a positive focal point.

But wouldn't you know it, when my defenses were at there lowest, I was attacked by some super bug traveling among the staff &/or patrons and I would never be the same again!!

I spent the remainder of 2014 in decline yet still trying to manage ordeals - it proved to be too much!  When the right sided numbness that followed a meridian through the center of me began,  again I succumbed to the pain & distress brought by the thought of death .... Off for the emergency room referrals I went...

Ultimately, the treatments advised (like a drunk throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks) were, for the most part counterproductive, and I remained house bound & primarily bedridden throughout 2015 trying to overcome  contraindicated side effects to boot. I wasn't about to start the biologic & generic modifying pharmaceuticals now recommended.

So, as chronicled throughout the blog entries herein, after the best efforts by a new team of doctors (ENT, opthalmologist, rheumatologist, & uerologist) including surgery with all their new findings & diagnosis.  I have once again returned to self treatment with no intent of ever going back!  In fact, so convinced, if found unconscious, I don't want you to call them either!

Which brings us to today!  2016
At the conclusion, finally, of the longest blog rant I think I've ever published. (Thanks, if your still with me at this point)

2016
Time to paint a different picture & begin envisioning the next 5yrs. overcoming. I may have given up pharmaceuticals & traditional medicine but I'm even more committed to Me!

I will continue the balance I've found in research, education, & therapies: being my own best advocate, I will continue to strive for better days and not dwell on these issues.  I will love myself as God made me and his love & grace will walk me through all things.

Mean while I will come here to purge, vent, & share some of what I learn along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment